Sunday, March 15, 2009

Exodus 17

Exodus 17 again has the children of Israel needing water. From our Monday morning quarterback position of reading the Scripture it seems incredible that with all that God had provided and done for them that they would be grumbling at Moses. Yet, I have a hunch that if it were us that were thirsty, we might be grumbling as well. At this point God doesn’t seem to mind the grumbling, but later on when they start murmuring God will take great issue with them. Again, God provides water for them. We need to keep in mind that God will provide for us as well.

The second part of the chapter has the children of Israel fighting the Amalekites. As long as Moses hands were held high towards God the Israelites were winning, but when he grew tired and let them down they would lose. Aaron and Hur then assisted Moses and held his hands high. I have appreciated the Aarons and Hurs in my life. Many have lifted me up in prayer while I preach. At our church there are a group of folks who take turns praying for me while I preach, and the power is deeply felt from their prayers. Others pick me up in other areas. It is good when we can help lift up those around us. It makes us all stronger when we do.

“Lord, than You for providing for our needs. Point out to us when we can help another. I pray this in the precious name of Jesus. Amen.”

No comments: